Thursday, September 20, 2012

WHS Mascot

           Last year our mascot was taken away from our Community and for a while we had no mascot.
Our old mascot was called the Redskins and most community members and students were proud to call themselves the Redskins. Certain people thought we were disrespecting the Indian culture. We were not being disrespectful at all, we were proud to be Redskins. Some of us still believe that we are Redskins and always will be. Its not just a mascot to us, its way more then that. The mascot that represents all of us in this community. I haven't heard of one good reason of how we are disrespecting the "Redskins." Are we really disrespecting the Redskins and if we are how? All I have heard is the Redskins are disrespectful but are we really?  It's not like we are dressing up as Indians and making fun of the culture.  No, we are just being represented by there name and in no way is that making fun of there culture. If I was an Indian, I would be proud that I am being represented in such a strong community.  I would be glad that I am still being remember. I think of an Indian as a fighter, a strong fighter. That's what we are.  We fight till the end in everything we do, it might be sports or school work. It could be a variety of things but we never give up on anything.
           Now our mascot is a Wolverine. Really a Wolverine? That's the best you could think of? Do Wolverines even live in Maine? The picture to the right, is the new mascot for the WHS. I know thats a terrible mascot, right? Exactly what I was thinking. What's that..... on the front of its face, its all red, is that blood? Does that mean we eat our opponents or did we just viciously kill something? To me, thats pretty disrespectful to the animal saying that a wolverine is a very vicious animal. Now if this mascot represents us its also saying that we are vicious. I think the Redskins mascot meaning is that we are fighters and never give up. Thats way better then us being Wolverines meaning we are vicious people. Don't you agree? Our own mascot doesn't even live in our state, so how can we be represented as something that lives in a different state, that doesn't make sense. Why can't we come up with a mascot that represents the town of Wiscasset like the Redskins did?

          This is our real mascot the Wiscasset Redskins, the picture to the right. This picture here is not being disrespectful in anyway. Its just a picture of an Indian. The picture above is showing its teeth and has red on its face. To me that represents blood, and it looks like its ready to attack something, thats disrespecting the animal and the students of WHS.

          I along with many community members will always remember the Wiscasset Redskins and the famous Tomahawk theme song being played at many sporting events.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnodDTSqVhU
 
REST IN PEACE WISCASSET REDSKINS
 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your views on this issue in your blog. I appreciate your argument and you have room for growth in defending it. Remember when writing an academic argument you need to set the scene (which you have done fairly well, though for me, I still am unsure of just what happened). In your post you ask and answer many questions without providing support. In this case it would be nice to draw in even the Wikipedia article on the issue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_mascot_controversy and anecdotes from people you could quote (participant interviews). Sentence strings like "I know thats a terrible mascot, right? Exactly what I was thinking." are not convincing to the reader as you are assuming your feelings are ours. If you wish to make an argument (thesis, disputable claim) which is our goal in any academic writing, you make a statement and prove it with multiple validated sources. I am independent of the WHS mascot change but realize there are strong opinions for and against....your argument is the first I have heard out loud against, for instance. In a democracy we need to convince our fellow citizens with informed argument, not predetermined rhetoric (even if this means the world to you). Because if you want to see things change, you cannot do so with passions alone (Read Federalist 10: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalist_10) you must make an argument that starts deliberation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deliberation). In that deliberative dialogue you can ascertain with others what the best way forward is for the whole (community, state, nation).... that is what our constitution provides for. I am growing to like both your spirit and demeanor as a learner and as I saw on our beach clean-up....leader. I look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for your comment I will definitely take your comments into consideration for my blogs in the future thanks again

    ReplyDelete